It is currently Dec 19th, '17, 10:14

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Redfin 22
PostPosted: Nov 30th, '17, 21:57 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi all,

What are peoples thoughts on the Redfin 22 as designed by Barrie Armstrong?

http://www.allboatkits.com/product/redfin-22-mk-2/

Hoping to go see one under construction soon and have a flick through the study plans / build manual.

Full water ballast, trailerable weight under 1t, sleeps 2-4. Seems to tick all the boxes. I know there are a few completed around so im wondering on people's opinions.

Ideally I'll be single handing it from Cairns to the Torres Strait around June and meet the family on Thursday Island but would be able to get a second for the trip if necessary.

Last edited by Jaime on Dec 4th, '17, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Redfin 22
PostPosted: Dec 4th, '17, 14:28 
Midshipman

Well after a long morning looking at a couple of Redfin's about the place, I think this is the boat I'll be building.

Key differences between the original and mk2 seem to be the cabin is about 8-12" longer at the top on the cockpit end as it is no longer raked and the keel is about 8' longer also as there was extra space between the transom and the end of the keel case (I can't remember exactly but these numbers ring a bell).

Still fully water ballasted with (from memory 4 but could be 2) tanks under the berths and cockpit, away from the centre line of the hull up near the chines. Self draining cockpit as standard I guess? (I guess all boats now have self draining cockpits right?). Forward V Berth is 8ish' long, 1/4 berths run under the cockpit seating for about 7ish' I think.

Build book looks amazing. Very well put together indeed. All pieces are numbered nicely. Full stitch and glue with a mix of scarf joints and butt blocks.

If anyone has any other info they wish to chime in with that would be great also. Seems as the only thing that comes up in search is some for sale (which have now sold) and a 1 liner about the build cost back in 2003 or so.

PostPosted: Dec 4th, '17, 16:52 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 471 times
You can often buy 3/4 finished Redfins around the place for less than the cost of the kit

Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxhArKeEpFb_3-iYna5w/videos

PostPosted: Dec 4th, '17, 22:01 
Midshipman

I have been looking around and will continue however chances are I will end up building from scratch. Basic costing puts a fresh build around the 25k mark done and done however I'll have to firm up the costing a bit before I start. Don't want to get half way through and run over budget, probably wouldn't fly so well with the missus :haha:

PostPosted: Dec 4th, '17, 22:22 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 471 times
I think $29k may be a bit optimistic if buying everything new, possible if you manage to snag some good preloved equipment, just a basic mast extrusion unfitted can set you back over $2k on its own, a basic set of sails (Jib, Genoa, Main and assy) will be the best part of $10k depending on who makes them and quality, it soon adds up.

Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxhArKeEpFb_3-iYna5w/videos

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '17, 15:35 
Midshipman

Exactly. I can see it all adding up quite quickly, thus the need to firm up the completed build price sooner rather than later. The other part is man hours required to build it. Last thing we want is to be halfway through the build and have to rush to finish it and compromise on something or miss something or bugger something up or have a half finished boat when we should be testing it and trucking it to Cairns. Probably wouldn't be winning any man of the year awards by doing that...