Cal 14

Give the specs of the trailer sailers you know off and their pro's and con's
guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Cal 14

Post by guzzis3 » Jan 7th, '19, 19:02

Since Cal 14s get talked about pretty regularly I thought a dedicated thread might be useful. If one exists please correct me but I couldn't find one.

I've attached what seems to be a Cal14 leaflet or advertisement I found online. It has some interesting numbers. I would be interested to know the origional sail measurements.

I hope this is of interest.
Attachments
cal14.jpg

pdandy
Yachtmaster

Re: Cal 14

Post by pdandy » Jan 7th, '19, 20:00

It's in the general public section
viewforum.php?f=54
noelex 25 green velvet

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Jan 7th, '19, 20:14

Guzzi - There are probably some CAL owners on TSP. Mel's boat "Charlie" has original sails so she may be prepared to measure them for you, but if you just use the plan you attached and scale the triangles based on the 13' 8" hull length, you will get a pretty accurate idea of their size. To give you an idea, my two original sails fitted into a dag the size of a small sleeping bag!

If you end up buying that CAL and decide to get better sails, I have the plans for my new ones which I could give you a copy of.
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Jan 8th, '19, 17:32

Unbelievable. I apologise.

I did searches and did not find a single hit on that section. I thought it was weired as I'd thought there were many discussions of cal14s...

Peter, thank you for the suggestion. Quite right. I have a few battened dinghy sails and I thought I'd see if any were a close match.

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Jan 8th, '19, 19:41

I reckon Pacer sails would be about right.

The CAL hull is pretty easily driven, so not too hard to reach hull speed, such as it is!
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

Return to “Trailer yachts”