RED JACKET

Give the specs of the trailer sailers you know off and their pro's and con's
Sideshow Bob

Red Jacket

Post by Sideshow Bob » Nov 16th, '06, 21:09

Nice to see your details of the Red Jacket
I started my Sailing in Darwin in the early 1970's crewing on a Red Jacket keel boat
Was the Red Witch the same boat only longer ?

I always thought the Red Jacket was a pretty looking boat.
Don't seem to see any around much at all now.

Sideshow Bob

Windward1
Inshore Skipper

Post by Windward1 » Nov 17th, '06, 08:55

I remember a yacht they would not let race , but I cant remember what it was.
After sailing it Sunday in 30kn+ im afraid I would be just a bit scared to do the strait in her. As I said , I have to learn to sail again , its like nothing I have sailed before. When the top of the mast hits the water I will know how hard I can go :shock: Its funny , its tender but at the same time stiff.Now that doesn't make sense , but.......
I just disconnected my flat bed scanner and hooked up an all in one so I cant copy the pages I have on it , or about 20 or 30 other TS's that were around in '77.

Windward1
Inshore Skipper

Post by Windward1 » Nov 17th, '06, 14:47

The witch is 2' longer at 19'6"
There is a club in south Perth that love and race them but I can find precious little on the Jacket

peter

Post by peter » Jan 5th, '07, 13:24

FlatTopExpress wrote:Hello Bob,

They are great yachts. I crewed on one frequently and did a couple of Geelong to Queenscliff Races. Loads of fun.

The Red Witch was a completely different yacht. Hill and Cameron produced their Red series which were:-

The Red Jacket 17 ft 3 inches,
The Red Witch 19 ft 5 inches, and
The Red Baron 19 ft 8 inches.

Hill and Cameron also built The Seal 21 ft 9 inches and The Sorcerer 20 ft 6 inches.

Cheers - Ralph

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright (1955 - )
There are a lot of 'Red Eagles' around Perth. I don't know much about them. They look like a Red Jacket but are about 21foot long. The transom hangs out of the water and the rudder is under the transom. When we bought our RJ in the mid 1980's, the Eagles were a little bit cheaper the Jackets.

IanB
Able Skipper

Post by IanB » Mar 15th, '07, 19:27

From "Observers Book of Sailing Craft, Peter Campbell 1979:
Attachments
Redjacket.JPG
Redjacket.JPG (94.98 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
108_0804.jpg
108_0804.jpg (44.91 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
Ian B
Investigator 563 #50 Yara
www.investigator563.com

magic232
Able Skipper

Post by magic232 » Mar 16th, '07, 08:06

Hi Ian

Thankyou for the article. It is good to see something in hard copy which can be useful when filling out rego and insurance papers etc. I didnt know it was related to the witch. Thanks again, John

Al.M
Midshipman

Red Jacket

Post by Al.M » Dec 28th, '08, 02:42

I just sold mine & trying to replace it with something. I wish they built them with swing keels but they probably wouldn't be the same.

It was my first yacht & I didn't know much but I always felt it did everything well, except for easier launching. It was always pleasing to the eye and all aboard felt good about it. I once had 7 adults aboard and it seemed to handle it very well.

The Swedish details for the yacht can be found here:

http://stortriss.com/content/view/45/217/

Google in a translation and they say similar things about its sea-worthiness. Youtube pictures also on that website.

I was thinking of totally refurbishing my old one & putting in a swing keel - guess I will never know now.

Al.M

ontrack
Midshipman

i just got one

Post by ontrack » Aug 17th, '09, 03:43

hi all,
just got a red jacket
not sure if its a good thing yet.
mainly because the trailer decided to collapse in and crush the hull in as i was towing it home.
just glad i had stopped for a brew and sat on the drawbar and saw the welds cracking apart
needless to say it was a tilttray to complete the journey
does anyone have photos or designs for a decent trailer for these boats
still pulling at the bit to get it into the water, still have to patch the trailer up and get the boat fibreglassed
cheers all
dave

d_stanley
Midshipman

Re: i just got one

Post by d_stanley » Oct 9th, '09, 19:34

ontrack wrote:hi all,
just got a red jacket
not sure if its a good thing yet.
mainly because the trailer decided to collapse in and crush the hull in as i was towing it home.
just glad i had stopped for a brew and sat on the drawbar and saw the welds cracking apart
needless to say it was a tilttray to complete the journey
does anyone have photos or designs for a decent trailer for these boats
still pulling at the bit to get it into the water, still have to patch the trailer up and get the boat fibreglassed
cheers all
dave

ontrack
Midshipman

Post by ontrack » Oct 10th, '09, 05:33

Well boat and trailer all mostly fixed now,post some photos soon.
I got it painted Fire Engine Red.
No sense being a red jacket and being two shades of orange
:lol:

roman
Midshipman

Post by roman » Apr 2nd, '10, 19:21

I have had a Red Jacket sat in my yard for a few years now waiting repair. I only sailed it a few times before i dry docked it for safety reasons. the keel on my red is part of the hull moulding which was then filled with steel punchings and resin. over time this had taken in moisture and begun to rust. i discovered this when she had holes and brown stains streaking from them. the rusting expanding steel had cracked the fg and the fg had even started to cancer where moisture had sat in the damage. metal and compostites do not mix.

using a nice thin flexovit cut off disk i ground the sucker off leaving a few inches at the root of the keel foil (if you could ever describe the boxy wide stub for a keel as a foil i dunno). the fg at the root of the keel is pretty thick. out of interest i weighed all the resin and steel removed. was around 170kg. now i believe those scales were fairly acurate. wouldn't put my life on it but its possible the people that made this boat may have claimed a few more kilos as ballast that perhaps the boats had?

at present am planing eventually on repairing the boat.

in any case i hope no one else out there gets these brown steaks coming from their keel!
Attachments
278may 020.jpg
pirates may from time to time use discarded keels as cover - little known fact
278may 020.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 6383 times

Iancoombe
Inshore Skipper

Post by Iancoombe » Apr 3rd, '10, 09:52

hill and camron also made the sorcerer 21 ft stretched jacket i think, it came in fixed keel and drop keel, I had the drop keel version with a big lump of lead on the bottom of the keel, it looked the same as the bulb in the sneaky pirate photo
cheers Ian
By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest,second is by imitation, which is easiest,third is by experience, which is the bitterest.

Fandizzle
Midshipman

Post by Fandizzle » Dec 7th, '10, 09:44

any photos fellas. Would be good to see some RJ's refurbed
Red Jacket

redjacket
Midshipman

Post by redjacket » Dec 21st, '10, 19:17

I need help with best practice rigging. ANy thoughts? Over the many years of the life of mine there have been a stack of different permutations. Patches here and filler there.
Thoughts please and photos rule!
Thanks
MWP

Return to “Trailer yachts”