Trailable Yacht Insurance

This is the place for the great boat tradesmen you've found
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Trailable Yacht Insurance

Post by MoodyBlue » Aug 1st, '13, 15:43

For Trailable Yacht Insurance, by a fellow Trailable Yacht Sailor (Farr 7500) then see below:

Andrew Johnston of Professional Insurance Brokers (andrewj@profin.com.au and 03 97566399
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

capt_nemo
Inshore Skipper

Re: Trailable Yacht Insurance

Post by capt_nemo » Aug 2nd, '13, 00:10

Interesting timing !

I have just received my insurance renewal cert from PIB (Andrew). Whilst prices could always be lower I feel it is quiet competitive, requires no survey (mind you Wild Honey is in GREAT nick) and is therefore good value.

I have never had to claim however I have heard good comments amongst his peers and other by referral.
:)
Andrew races regularily in the MTYC Thursday Twilight races and is one of the leaders who needs knocking off !

I have no connection in any other way but think this notice is worth -10% :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NX933-Wild Honey

oldbeamer
Inshore Skipper

Post by oldbeamer » Aug 2nd, '13, 09:49

I've had to put a claim in through Andrew and I was really, really happy with his service. The good thing about having a broker like him is that you get the personal touch if you ever need to claim. Not a call centre somewhere. Andrew picks up the phone and gets it done.

In my case we did it all through email!
Ultimate 18 'Nessie'
Mordialloc, Victoria

MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Post by MargGannet » Aug 2nd, '13, 18:27

I can only endorse all the comments above...
Marg
Special Edition NX 25,
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic

Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed » Aug 2nd, '13, 23:38

Windales insured through andrew too.
--
RL28 "Windale" Located in Yeppoon, QLD

I used to have ambitions and then I started sailing, now everything else just seems pointless.......(Bixler McClure)

oliveoyl
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by oliveoyl » Jul 30th, '14, 16:27

Hello,
Was wondering if any one can advise me on insurance for my TS that doesn't require a survey. Or am I dreaming. I am another GIO no longer insuer person.If not what's the average cost for a survey to be done. I'm on a mooring so I assume that includes slipping the boat. As a club member there is some insurance re mooring which is serviced yearly by the club . But need the boat. GIO did provide a third party only type with public liability. Wondering if any one has come across a similar product. I will consult with Andrew too.

Thanks in advance

oliveoyl
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by oliveoyl » Jul 30th, '14, 16:34

Bump to resurrect subject

surfsideminer
Inshore Skipper

Post by surfsideminer » Jul 30th, '14, 17:37

Youi do not require a survey and they will package to suit.

I'm with Youi... Have nominated how many times a year I take Pearl for a drive and sail, specified hull, mast, sails, outboard, electronics and everything in between and elected no insurance for racing and have never made a claim...

As we have trailer-able boats, always consider the general insurers as an option, they do thousands of stink boats and may include you in that broader category... you may get a multi-policy discount by packaging, car, house, etc...

Marine insurers do not always give the best prices on TSs they mainly deal in darksiders, hence survey requirements etc... and if you are with a marine insurer check you are covered out of the water on the trailer, being towed by a car or truck as stored on jinker / trailer / hard stand as at home may not be the same as towing the boat home on the public roads...
SSM (Terry)
MMSI 503006330

Pearl - Mounts Bay 21 (Swing Keel)
Mount Richon (Western Australia)

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Jul 30th, '14, 18:05

Right on subject, I just got my renewal yesterday, and although it has gone up slightly its still cheap as chips for the cover they offer, when I said gone up, the price rise was below inflation :D

Im with PBB brokers who go through QBE marine arm IBNA, its cheaper and far easier than going directly through QBE
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Jul 30th, '14, 20:48

Not sure where you are Oliveoyl, but I have been with RACV for years. Competitive premiums and no survey ever needed. Best of all, when a tree fell onto SaltPeter and caused $17K damage, they were completely cooperative and paid up with no increase in premiums other than the usual annual rises.

So as mentioned above, maybe look at non-marine insurers as some do cover things like TS without all the red-tape.

I hope I haven't spoken too soon as my renewal isn't far off!
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

oliveoyl
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by oliveoyl » Jul 31st, '14, 13:57

Just a quick update thanks heaps guys for the info. As it is currently consistent 35 gusting 48 knot Northerly on PPB and that direction is apart from a easterly gale the only one where my boat Is exposed...I did a quick hurry up with the insurance. Peter I am a gold class RACV status so gave them a ring unfortunately they do require a out of water survey. Probably because I'm on a swing mooring. So I checked Youi and yes they were able to give me a third party property only policy which is what I wanted with 10,000,000 public liability. At a good price and no survey required. So I signed up.
Thanks again .

PaulS
Able Skipper

Post by PaulS » Aug 1st, '14, 09:37

Just don't tell Youii your boat was built before 1980 - they wont insure it........... :cry: :cry:

oliveoyl wrote:Just a quick update thanks heaps guys for the info. As it is currently consistent 35 gusting 48 knot Northerly on PPB and that direction is apart from a easterly gale the only one where my boat Is exposed...I did a quick hurry up with the insurance. Peter I am a gold class RACV status so gave them a ring unfortunately they do require a out of water survey. Probably because I'm on a swing mooring. So I checked Youi and yes they were able to give me a third party property only policy which is what I wanted with 10,000,000 public liability. At a good price and no survey required. So I signed up.
Thanks again .
BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WON'T DROWN
South Gippsland Victoria

Hilly
CompetentCrew

Post by Hilly » Aug 1st, '14, 13:38

Insured through NRMA. No survey as long as stored at home. No problem with age either (1976 Timpenny). Price is good although have to breakdown the components (eg. motor, sails, hull)
"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails" Mum's advice to live by.
Timpenny 670 "RnR"
NHTYA

CruiserPete
Inshore Skipper

Post by CruiserPete » Aug 3rd, '14, 09:41

Insured my 1980 Farrier trailer Trimaran with Youi no survey, no hassle and can modify the insurance on line to suit needs. Fantastic, easy and very affordable. Have never made a claim so will see how fantastic when trying to claim but fingers crossed I never need to claim.

PaulS
Able Skipper

Post by PaulS » Aug 3rd, '14, 09:55

Hope it wasn't launched in 1979 CP!

If its not too rude a question, what is affordable, I am guessing around $300-400 yr?

Paul

:)
CruiserPete wrote:Insured my 1980 Farrier trailer Trimaran with Youi no survey, no hassle and can modify the insurance on line to suit needs. Fantastic, easy and very affordable. Have never made a claim so will see how fantastic when trying to claim but fingers crossed I never need to claim.
BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WON'T DROWN
South Gippsland Victoria

CruiserPete
Inshore Skipper

Post by CruiserPete » Aug 3rd, '14, 12:37

Hi Paul,

My Farrier trimaran fully comprehensive @ $8000 including $10 000 000 public liability, extra cover for sails, mast, boom & rigging, electronics to value of $2500, personal items value of $1000, trailer, outboard to value $2000 (new Honda 5hp ) is $600 a year. I originally had it insured 3rd party property damage ( which included fire/theft) was $240 year. Monthly payments at no extra cost if needed and no survey. Pretty affordable I think.

Cheers Pete

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Aug 3rd, '14, 13:10

RACV insures SaltPeter for $21,100 for $353 per annum.
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

Cruiser
Able Skipper

Post by Cruiser » Aug 3rd, '14, 23:27

Just changed over the Andrew at PIB last week - too easy, should have done so long ago.
MacGregor 26S "Myuna"

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Aug 4th, '14, 07:40

As I posted the other day, I got my renewal and paid it on the weekend even happier than before after taking the time to read the actual policy.

I guess in things like this its what is covered that counts and I didnt realize how good the coverage is, suggest one reads the policy document before paying, what may seem like a good price could just be lower coverage or nasty policy loopholes that may come back to bite you on the bum.

I didnt realize I was covered for all the things I am with IBNA :D
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club

colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 » Dec 24th, '14, 14:35

Just an interesting point that today I received my renewal for the Farr's insurance, with it a letter about the 1984 boat trailer requiring either a "condition report from my usual boat mechanic" or "a safety inspection report" or "survey report and valuation". Nothing about the boat, just the trailer. Insurance company is GIO
Farr 5000 (Frodo).Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Dec 24th, '14, 15:18

I don't think there is any provision in Victoria for Roadworthy Certificates for trailers, but if you can find an RWC inspector who is prepared to do one, that should sort them?
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Dec 24th, '14, 16:24

Maybe a mechanic may have the checklist for registration of boat trailers, that may surfice
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club

oldsailor
CompetentCrew

Post by oldsailor » Dec 28th, '14, 11:37

We have house, contents and two vehicles comprehensively covered with RACV - have had for "gold" membership time.
If my boat spends more than a total of six weeks in any one year on a swing mooring I have to get an 'out of water' survey!! Sux!! but then the rates aren't bad.
Wazza

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, beats bummin' around in boats

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Dec 28th, '14, 21:22

The yacht club had its inflatable insured with a large marine insurance company (you could say they are part of the "club")and they are hell to deal with, I got a nasty response when I rang and asked the claims officer how the claim was going, "Ive only had it for 3 days, I have not looked at it, I will have a look and call you back" well that was over a week ago, now this is our off the beach rescue boat and we have a discover sailing day coming up in a couple of weeks and the insurance company has been told this, but guess what they dont care.

Total time the claim has been on the go so far is 3 weeks, they were not happy with quotes, they had to send out an assessor, they had already been told that repair was not an option as the baffles have been damaged

And the total amount of the claim is only $2500, I would hate to see the running around you would get if it was $25,000.

Needless to say we wont be going back there at renewal time, I put my claim into Andrew and had a cheque in the letter box 5 days later, now thats service :D
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club

Return to “Recommended Tradesmen”