Tiller/Outboard steering

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
Mistagear
Midshipman

Tiller/Outboard steering

Post by Mistagear » Sep 19th, '12, 23:48

Hi,

A mate came for a sail a today, while we were motoring out into the bay he noticed I was steering the outboard with the tiller handle., It's a simple set-up I have used on tiller steer since I was a child and have done this so many times I have never really thought that others might not have seen it done.
I'm guessing many people have seen this done, however he had never seen it on a boat and suggested I should post something here in case others would like to do something similar. He is putting one together before he next takes his boat out, he seemed real keen on the idea.
Now that I think about it, I can not remember seeing a similar steering arrangement, so maybe some TSP members could find it of interest.
I often sail solo, as I motor from a wharf, find the combo steering works well with an auto tiller while I get everything ready to sail. Also easier when motoring than having to hang over the transom to steer.
It's a little embarrassing if most have already seen a combined tiller/outboard steering.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24781807/DSCN4750.AVI

Only takes a few minutes to set-up, I used to do a temporary thing with a piece of rope around the outboard and a couple of half hitches around the tiller handle. These days I do have a permanent arrangement. I use ski rope so its easier to adjust the length for best fit. Each end has a clip together rope coupling to make it faster to assemble and disconnect when I want to lift the outboard out of the water.
If you have seen one, you will know how basic this is, but if anyone would like more detail, just ask.

PS. hope the video works. (sorry if the subject has been done before)
Cheers, M

zebedee
Admiral

Re: Tiller/Outboard steering

Post by zebedee » Sep 20th, '12, 02:42

Mistagear wrote:PS. hope the video works. (sorry if the subject has been done before)
Cheers, M
Yes, the subject has been done before, but no, I don't think we've seen your method before and it does seem to work rather well. Having two connections both in tension gets away from the problems with a single push-pull strut going over centre at the extreme starboard position (with the motor to starboard as in your case).

I hope you don't mind, I've made a couple of stills from your video to post here in case it doesn't work for some readers:

For those that haven't seen the video, the motor and rudder stay remarkably close to parallel through their entire travel.

Are the links elastic bungy or ordinary rope?
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

oldbeamer
Inshore Skipper

Post by oldbeamer » Sep 20th, '12, 11:58

Hmmm, I want one! that's a great system.

Does it take long to set up and disconnect? I noticed that on the front of the outboard you've got a knot and not a clamp or clip. I'd have to disconnect it while on the way to the mooring and I wonder if you have to do the same thing.
Ultimate 18 'Nessie'
Mordialloc, Victoria

ray on the bay
Able Skipper

Post by ray on the bay » Sep 20th, '12, 13:12

looks great. I love simple systems.

how does it work when the motor is tilted. do you need to disconnect anything before hand and do the ropes foul while steering under sail if not disconnected.

regards,
Ray
Ultimate 18S Allanah

"Water Cures All"

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Sep 20th, '12, 13:47

Well thats the problem with some rigid versions in that they had to be disconnected when tilting.

I would have liked to have one on the Sonata, but couldn't get to the back of the outboard to disconnect when tilting - this could have worked.
Borrman 38.

Mistagear
Midshipman

Post by Mistagear » Sep 20th, '12, 18:05

Hi,

I use ski rope, its easy to make a loop and adjust the length with a little trial and error.
Set the tiller and the outboard parallel and facing straight ahead.
Tie the middle of the rope round the outboard's lifting handle, take one end around the starboard side (when motor is starboard of the tiller), around the back of the outboard and attach to a convenient point rearward on the tiller.
Adjust out any slack in the rope.
Now turn the tiller handle and the outboard to port as far as a normal turn.
While in this position, temporarily tie the other end of the rope, forward on the tiller in a position where the outboard is roughly facing the same heading as the tiller. Tighten untill you have some tension on this forward tether.
Swing the tiller back to starboard to check if motor matches the tiller direction.
To adjust to best position for your boat, move the forward tether anchoring point forward or aft on the shaft of the tiller untill you are satisfied how well both tiller and motor match direction.
Once you are happy with the operation and positioning, you can fix the anchoring points and add quick release rope clips as desired .
This set-up can then remain permanently fixed to the outboard
and must be unclipped to tilt the outboard.
Takes only seconds to clip/unclip when needed.
To tilt the outboard, turn the tiller/outboard hard to starboard (this makes releasing the rear clip easy) and release both front and back quick release clips, then join the two rope ends together in a loop around the outboard. This releases the tiller for sailing and the loop of rope will not be long enough to foul in the propeller.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24781807/DSCN4751.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24781807/DSCN4752.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24781807/DSCN4753.JPG

Cruiser
Able Skipper

Post by Cruiser » Sep 20th, '12, 21:03

Thanks for posting your steering idea Mistagear - sometimes 'the best ideas are the simplest' - that one has certainly sold me :!: .
MacGregor 26S "Myuna"

ricdanger
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by ricdanger » Sep 21st, '12, 09:51

Oh man. This is excellent. I crash my boat into the pontoon 100% of the time as I reverse in trying to steer both the rudder and the outboard at the same time as well as pick up mooring lines. Sensational!
Ric

Botterill Explorer 16 #10 - Captain Phasma

Tymadman
Able Skipper

Post by Tymadman » Sep 21st, '12, 15:36

ricdanger wrote:Oh man. This is excellent. I crash my boat into the pontoon 100% of the time as I reverse in trying to steer both the rudder and the outboard at the same time as well as pick up mooring lines. Sensational!
LOL! When reversing, face backwards and point the rudder to where you want to go.
Cheers,

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

ricdanger
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by ricdanger » Sep 21st, '12, 17:37

Haha yes I do but the outboard flips to one side and drags me in the direction IT wants to go!! This will link the two! Nicely.

Ric
1964 Mirror
Melbourne
Ric

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » Sep 21st, '12, 19:53

ricdanger wrote:Haha yes I do but the outboard flips to one side and drags me in the direction IT wants to go!! This will link the two! Nicely.

Ric
1964 Mirror
Melbourne
Ric
There is a friction damper on most outboards near the top of the leg which you can tighten to stop the motor being too loose. Look for a screw or bolt with a spring under it somewhere around where the motor pivots on the transom mount.

Or tell us what model motor and we may be able to point it out to you....

Jeff
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

ricdanger
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by ricdanger » Sep 27th, '12, 18:42

Hi Jeff, it's a yahama 15hp 2stroke. I can't recall seeing an adjuster...

Ric
1964 Mirror
Melbourne
Ric

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » Sep 28th, '12, 20:49

Ric
Part numbers 2, 3 & 4 are responsible for adjusting the friction on the leg to prevent it flopping from side to side.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

The pic might not be your model but they all use similar principle where a bolt presses against the friction pad to increase the force required to turn the motor.

Cheers

Jeff
Attachments
BRACKET_2.png
BRACKET_2.png (78.13 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

Return to “General”