Griffin 17 Cabin layout

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
newby22
Inshore Skipper
Been thanked: 0

Griffin 17 Cabin layout

Post by newby22 »

Does anyone know the cabin layout of the Griffin 17 , in particular the bedding, and position of mast step/ centreplate case etc

A friend recommended the Griffin 17, as a light boat with a roomy cabin

It's hard to find much info about them on the net.....any general oinions/ feedback about the class greatly appreciated

Cheers

Mark
Mark

Castle 550, Number 16, "Bella"
59er, 087, "Fling"
RS Aero "Feather"

FLUKE "The portion of an anchor that digs securely into the bottom, holding a boat in place; also, any occasion when this occurs on the first try"
PaulS
Able Skipper

Re: Griffin 17 Cabin layout

Post by PaulS »

I have a Griffin GTS-17 they have a berth either side of a centre board case nice and low so that tall people can sit up inside. They also have coffin berths on both sides under the cockpit. Room for a toilet and stove. I have some pictures, may post tommorow. I also have one for sale! :D

Paul
BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WON'T DROWN
South Gippsland Victoria
sixtiesrelic
CompetentCrew
Has thanked: 0

Post by sixtiesrelic »

Hi Mark,
I have one and love her.
My son is six feet and sleeps satisfactorily in the cabin. He tends to flail about a bit in his sleep and dongs his elbows on the centreboard case or side, but he's slept in a double bed alone for years.
It's a cubbyhouse rather than a saloon but I make myself comfortable when I sleep and eat aboard overnight.

There is a good volume under the cockpit seat that can only be got into from inside the cabin.1880 X 400w x 430hi. I take it that is a coffin berth. The other side is half dry (got at from in the cabin 820 X 400 X 430) and the stern half entered from outside in the cockpit 1100 X 570 X 430hi.

I've seen 'Sail duo's' boat which is set out opposite to mine in those underseat compartments. Their cockpit entrance is on the port side and someone made the entrance hole bigger, so the fuel tank can be placed in the space.
Better for safety than mine, as I use that space for wet items and things I can get at easily without letting the tiller go unattended. You need some sort of tiller tamer if you let it go for long. They tend to hoot into full rudder lock readily. My external entrance in the side of the seat is 600 long and 120 hi, so things stay in there when it's rough.
My fuel tank is in the dry area half of the stbd 'under seat' storage and is therefore in the cabin.
I take it out when cooking and bung it on the seat by the outboard, outside.

Some descriptions of the full under seat space (Coffin berth?) say kids can sleep there. It's pretty cramped. I took the mattress out of it
There is a cushion that fits there, full length. I took it out and store a sleeping bag, emergency food, extra clothes, extra towels etc in rectangular bins way down the back, in case I decide it's too rough and feel like hiding behind an island for the night.
I have two flat bins (one on top) that fit in the space and leave some room for anything long to go beside them.They're 800 X 400 X200 and leave about 120mm space above and say 150 beside them for long things like paddles and the aerial when the boat is travelling on the trailer.
A cord is attached to the bottom them to pull them out, if I need the emergency comfort gear.

A large bin 600 X 470 X 450 houses wet weather gear, extra clothes, picnic food etc goes in front of them (also has a cord to pull it out) and that still leaves a length of 580mm for other bins, buckets and fishing gear that you want to reach in and grab.

The coffin berth and beds are contained in a shallow well to stop them sliding about and the wheeled bins have remained on their space and never encroached into the cabin. The beds are 100 mm higher than the cabin deck, so if water gets in the cabin the beds stay dry.

Handling; I've been pleasantly surprised at her stability. I was on the cabin roof messing about with a shackle way above me when I drifted over a sand bar with the wind blowing opposite to the strong tidal run and it got very choppy. She rolled in the chop and even with the high centre of gravity, (The Centre board was up at the time too) she didn't pause at the end of a roll, deciding what to do, but rolled back the other way.

We were hit by a pretty strong squall once and she heeled about 40 degrees and we lost rudder authority, so she quickly turned into wind and behaved well.

I'm seventy and can rig and sail her alone quite comfortably, even with some debilitation from chemotherapy.
I'm not what you'd call a sailor but I can sail well enough to save myself.

The mattresses are about 1950 by 650.

The cabin, from forward bulkhead is 2500 long and around 1800 wide. (Water containers, ropes and anchors fit in the small fore section in front of the bulkhead comfortably)

The centreboard case extends out of the cabin into the cockpit and is a total of 1900 long. The mast step (pole) is against the forward end of the centreboard case and you have about 600mm from the CB post to the forward bulkhead.

I think Griffin made a standard and delux cabin.
Sail Duo's and mine have the same interior shelving with and cupboards, yet a chap who came up to me in a rest stop asked if he could look in her, remarked his didn't have the side cupboards.

Sail Duo have set up a small galley on the port side above the coffin berth, I just bung one of those single burner throw away pressure pack gas cylinder, stoves you can buy anywhere. I put it on the centreboard, folding table, to heat food, water or cook jaffals rather than a meal.

I'm 5 foot 6 and sitting on the centreboard casing just inside the cabin to do things, like speak on the radio or find something I need, tend to knock large lumps of skin off the top of my head when I suddenly lean forward. I'm slowly remembering to sit a bit further back on it than is natural, to avoid bleeding all over everything.
My son is ok as the cabin roof is in his field of view and he ducks.

I've thought about the toilet but there's only a confined space between the end of the bunk and the aft cabin wall which would require a small one that fitted. Is that where you put yours Paul or haven't I looked around properly.

Any way maybe that'll help.

Sixties.
PaulS
Able Skipper

Post by PaulS »

not mine but two neat Griffin interiors looking towards the bow.
Attachments
griffin 17 ayjkdtukdhkdghkdfbdegh.jpg
griffin 17 ayjkdtukdhkdghkdfbdegh.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
hethawehaweh.jpg
hethawehaweh.jpg (62.45 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
South Gippsland Victoria
PaulS
Able Skipper

Post by PaulS »

and one without the side cupboards, ribs in forepeak, timber mast strut, fold up table etc:
Attachments
griffin GTS 17 8.jpg
griffin GTS 17 8.jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
South Gippsland Victoria
PaulS
Able Skipper

Post by PaulS »

My Griffin GTS-17
Attachments
small at anchor.jpg
small at anchor.jpg (84.85 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
South Gippsland Victoria
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Where is that photo taken? Wilson's Prom?
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
PaulS
Able Skipper

Post by PaulS »

Yes, sheltering from 30 knot easterlies last year, north of Tin Mine Cove.

Paul
South Gippsland Victoria
sixtiesrelic
CompetentCrew
Has thanked: 0

Post by sixtiesrelic »

The top two photos are of what I assume is the delux interiors with the cupboards (or whatever the nautical term is) and the folding table while the bottom photo the standard interior.

Return to “General”