What boat should I buy.... AN RL24 ofcourse !!

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

What boat should I buy.... AN RL24 ofcourse !!

Post by Pirate »

For the last couple of years I've actively been getting my butt onto bigger boats for as much experience as I can get, those boats have been RL's, Sonata's, Adams, & Binks etc , just to get a feel of what they are like...... each has had their plus and their minus.

In the constant searching of available boats I've found there are mainly 4 types available.....

1/ The Racer -> set up mainly for club racing and usually bare to the bones interior wise
2/ The Cruiser-> set up to cruise but generally with old but proven sails that sort-of need replacing
3/ The Renovator-> damn cheap but needs cash and labour to bring it back to a good base
&
4/ the Bit-sa -> does a bit or racing, does a bit of crusing, needs a few things fixed....... and generally doesn't exceed well in any of the fields !!!..... translation => spend way more cash on every department !!!!

So where does that leave me :?

I want to race, and a slow boat aint gunna cut it..... getting off of fast cats and going to a monohull is one thing, but to find I'm on a slug of a monohull that would not be cool !!!!
I want to cruise, and not for just a day run but be able to live aboard for a week or so while I do the Murray river/ Gippsland lakes for example
I've seen all of Australia that I'll ever need to by car, Charity bashes have taken me places most of you will never know even exist let alone visit, but I know there's lots more to this great land that many never see and much of it is from the water

Inland waters will be most of this boats use, and maybe an occasional sea trip along the coast in the right conditions and at the right time of the year will most likely happen at some stage too. I'm not about to enter an cole23 in the Sydney to Hobart for example, but under the right conditions and with the right boat setup, why shouldn't this be possible ? after all, its all in the planning and experience that matters right ???

The crew:
I have several people that are more than willing to come racing with me, most have a great deal of experience on both trailer sailers and fixed keelers, so a "racing crew" isn't an issue.... its the cruising crew that's a little of a concern, the missus wont go sailing with me on the catamarans because she wants a boat you sit IN, not one you sit ON, she is also against the 2 youngest boys (under 10) coming with me for that same reason, its too easy for them to fall off, and largely I can see where she is coming from...
Of the 2 older lads, (over 18) one has crewed for me on the cat and the eldest would rather go and shoot arrows at paper and they have both now moved out of home anyway => YaHooooo :mrgreen:

This is where the problem comes from, I cant teach the missus and young boys to sail on the cat, but I can on a trailable, so I'll have an inexperienced crew for cruising...... not exactly ideal huh !!!

My skillset is in the steel fabrication industry, but I also do much of my own work in other areas, eg fibreglassing/woodwork/electronics/mechanical/ etc etc etc ..... I'll have a go at just about anything that needs fixing and to date I've been very good at nearly all things I take on. This means I'd probably prefer to go with a known racer and add the interior to what I want rather than buying a cruiser and spending thousands on sails to get it to faster and be capable of racing.

the Question is .... what boat would suit the best as a "Saturday racer & a Sunday Cruiser"

:?

At the time of posting there's a lazy $7000 waiting for the right owner, I might even go up another grand for the right boat, but another on top of that would be squeezing the tail right off of the piggy bank and leaving no room to move for upgrades....

thoughts
Last edited by Pirate on Jun 28th, '15, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips ..... maybe ;)
https://www.facebook.com/RL24LightningJack/
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Re: What boat should I buy

Post by Castle 610 »

RL 24, Timpenny 670 , Castle 650 that sort of thing. 7k is not enough for a good one of these but anything slower will not suit your needs coming from a Cat.

Neither would be recommended for Sydney to Hobart IMO but thats another story.

regards

Stephen
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

Spend $3000 more and buy Mel's Careel 22. :D

Coops.
Some people are like clouds. When they go away it makes the day seem brighter.
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

Castle 610 wrote:RL 24, Timpenny 670 , Castle 650 that sort of thing. 7k is not enough for a good one of these but anything slower will not suit your needs coming from a Cat.

Neither would be recommended for Sydney to Hobart IMO but thats another story.

regards

Stephen
RL 24's are reasonably common down here in western Vic, mostly setup as racers and a couple done as cruisers, a former national RL24 champ is one of my mates and obviously pushing me towards the RL..... my main concern with the RL is its stability due to the lightweight design and the novice crew (family), should be fine for racing tho
Its probably one of the reasons I decided to 'ask here' for ideas, the RL is the one boat that everyone locally is pushing me towards, just want to open up my options before the wallet
:wink:

Timpenny 670 are not common in the area so my knowledge of them is the same....... not great !!
Although a quick search of the web says they can fall into my price range, would need links to further my understanding of these boats a little better.

Castle 650, the first 5 boats I saw for sale were all well out of my budget range so that puts it in the "needs more $$$ spent" on it as a renovators delight or I have some serious saving to do !!

Last edited by Pirate on Jun 13th, '15, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips ..... maybe ;)
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

Cooper wrote:Spend $3000 more and buy Mel's Careel 22. :D

Coops.

7k is the place I'm comfortable with at this stage, but I could go another 2k with a push, 3grand more is making life tough and I'd end up with a shed full of boat and no dollars to actually use it with !!!

But I have had a serious look at Mel's boat on the various sites she's listed it....... nice but out of my wallets range for now
(I'd also like some pics without all the cushions, they seem to be covering up everything )
:oops:
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Up to the point where you said "$7000" I was thinking a Castle.
Pirate wrote:
Castle 610 wrote:RL 24, Timpenny 670 , Castle 650 that sort of thing. 7k is not enough for a good one of these but anything slower will not suit your needs coming from a Cat.
regards
Stephen
Castle 650, the first 5 boats I saw for sale were all well out of my budget range so that puts it in the "needs more $$$ spent" on it as a renovators delight or I have some serious saving to do !!

I bought Stephen's previous Castle for $10k three years ago. I have seen one other at $11k, otherwise they seem to start about $14k. Interestingly, while I've had some minor problems, Roller Coaster came with brand new trailer, genoa and jib, and where it is different from later Castles, I prefer it. My budget was also about $7k and I was looking at things like U18s, Careel 18s and RL24s, but I definitely have no regrets seizing the opportunity.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Warrigal150
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Warrigal150 »

So. You're from Colac?

Lanie knows what he's talking about.

There was an RL "Lorna Dee" for sale recently. I'll see if I can dig out the ad. I'd buy that straight up if still for sale.
Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.......
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Post by Castle 610 »

Zeb got a bargain no doubt about it but realistically $7k is too low for a Castle in good condition- even a really old one.

Perhaps go smaller eg Hartley 16 if $7k is the budget. They are good racers.

Stephen
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

Warrigal150 wrote:So. You're from Colac?

Lanie knows what he's talking about.

There was an RL "Lorna Dee" for sale recently. I'll see if I can dig out the ad. I'd buy that straight up if still for sale.

You should see the emails I have from him, talk about biased !!!!
I think he almost has me on speed dial, as soon as an RL appears he's got me on the phone
and yes the boat would be sailed in the Colac region

LornaDee has been sold and yes I was interested, but didn't strike when I had the chance
opportunity lost by thinking there's something better just around the corner
:cry:
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue »

Go and stretch the budget and Get Mel's C22.

They sail fairly fast, but have good interior volume to keep the kids and missus happy.

For 7 k there was a Boomaroo 22 recently but the C22 is better.

Jeff
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)
Mojo
Able Skipper

What boat should I buy

Post by Mojo »

If the RL takes your fancy, but lack of self righting puts you off, perhaps consider fabricating a new keel with a bit more weight and lower centre of gravity. A bulb keel may even be an option
Cheers
Mojo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdandy
Admiral

Post by pdandy »

Food for thought - the careel 22 is a small yacht rather than big dinghy - it's a great boat if you want to be competitive ON HANDICAP with a mixed cbh fleet and your racing crew have the trimming skills to optimise it, but it's not going to be as lively as an rl. It won't be much slower in non planing conditions, but it'll feel slower. It's also headsail dominant so someone has to actively manage the winches. I'd happily race one with my 10 yo but I'm not sure I'd want my 6/8 yo manning the winches. I'd more than happily cruise on one with my family - I was going to buy one before I stepped inside a Noelex....

BUT - I suspect your racing mates are going to be a lot happier on an RL, and the cat sailer in you will enjoy racing an rl.

Hard choice - family or fun.
noelex 25 green velvet
colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 »

I have never owned a Timpenny 670, but my impression of them is that the concept is similar to the RL but perhaps a bit more stability and cruising space. Class rules would be more restrictive with the Timp.
Boatless. Kia Sportage 2L FWD, Jayco 13 Sprite, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Box Saloon,
Previous:- TS500, Ultimate 18, Cole 23, Laser, Ultimate16, Farr6000, Hardy 18 Motor Sailor, Farr7500, Farr5000.
MelN
Able Skipper

Post by MelN »

(I'd also like some pics without all the cushions, they seem to be covering up everything )
Nothing covered - I'm just a girl who likes cushions! :-)
Attachments
DSC_0649 (678x1024) (285x430).jpg
DSC_0651 (678x1024) (424x640) (285x430).jpg
Mel
Gippsland
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

colect149 wrote:I have never owned a Timpenny 670, but my impression of them is that the concept is similar to the RL but perhaps a bit more stability and cruising space. Class rules would be more restrictive with the Timp.
Timps seem a nice boat, the interior of many I have seen for sale is more race orientated (stripped out pretty much or let go and needing refit), they seem to do pretty well in races, there was one in WAFIR this year and it did OK (its for sale now for $10K look for Timp for sale in Cannons Creek on Gumtree) and kept up with the fleet with a first time skipper (he had never sailed it before but he is a renowned dinghy sailor and boat builder)

IMHO really nice boat but hard to find with good condition interior and can be overpriced for condition, smallish interior compared to others in the same size range and even some smaller TS's
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos
Hilly
CompetentCrew

Post by Hilly »

Got a Timpenny and it suits the two of us for cruising. The racing part is done solo which is easily setup on the Timpenny so inexperienced crew is not a problem. They do sail like a dinghy which is a great feeling when you have come off small cats or slow larger slugs. They have a large cockpit and enough room to sleep but don't expect to stand up. My missus only does the cruising part but as she wouldn't step foot on anything floating previously, I take it as a real complement to the Timp.
Under class rules you have a self tacking jib so you can't put on a larger sail in light winds although she moves OK with the small jib. They are best sailed flat and don't tend to rock around to much as they have a planing hull, which in turn makes an experienced crew (the heeling alarm) a lot more confident.
In short I love my Timp (and the missus). Perhaps I should have put the missus first.
"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails" Mum's advice to live by.
Timpenny 670 "RnR"
NHTYA
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Post by Castle 610 »

I have been told the timps are very annoying on handicap especially when the wind gets up. They are designed for husband and wife crew.
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue »

Hilly wrote:They are best sailed flat and don't tend to rock around to much as they have a planing hull, which in turn makes an experienced crew (the heeling alarm) a lot more confident.
In short I love my Timp (and the missus). Perhaps I should have put the missus first.
Fun to see you have a "Scream-O-Meter" on your boat too Hilly :P

My meter has "GRRRRRRRR" starting at 7 degrees, Followed by a very deep Hissing sound and deep breath at 10 degrees, soon followed by the skipper reminding her that she has the main sheet in her hand so the control of the "Scream-O-Meter" is her choice.
Jeff
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Re: What boat should I buy.... AN RL24 ofcourse !!

Post by Pirate »

Thank you all for the thoughts and help on this.....

I guess it was really a discussion just to satisfy my own thoughts that the boat I was being actively persuaded into buying was in fact a boat worth having.

As it is I'm now the proud owner of an RL24
(thread title edited to show this and for the future searchers :wink: )

And before some says or thinks it.......
Nah, just because I have bought a boat doesn't mean I'm out of here, would like to stick around if you lot can put up with me
:lol:

Cheers
Kingy
8)
Attachments
IMGP7555.jpg
9erPaul
Able Skipper

Post by 9erPaul »

Congrats Pirate, looks good, but I hope this is not you picking it up. If yes, you need to go back as they usually come with a big stick on the top :wink:
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

:shock:
there wasn't a big stick !!!!!

there were 2 of them
:)
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

An RL 24 on a tandem trailer, thats a bit novel and maybe a bit of overkill, should be plenty of spare capacity for cruising kit, Im a big fan of tandems except when trying to back them into tight spots around a corner
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

The wheels are a tiny 600:9 tyre..... yep, almost mini wheels which are usually 10"

must admit I was concerned about the long haul home on those wheels but they actually performed really well as I only blew the one tyre.
The stud pattern is the older holden pattern and the current wheels are typical BCF boat trailer wheels, this is likely to change later on to a more available 14" wheels, and in all honesty its only a "looks thing" to me..... other than the size...... it tows really well, the 20hour+ run home with it really surprised me

:)
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

I'm not sure that I would consider a 25% failure rate within 20 hours to be performing "really well"!
You can also get 13" wheels and 720kg rated tyres for that stud pattern. 2880kg of tyre capacity should be enough...
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Mojo
Able Skipper

Post by Mojo »

Those small tyres need to run at high pressure. I have similar tyres on a small powerboat trailer. I blew a brand new tyre in about an hour of use. I was told by a few people that they need to run near the top of their max pressure to avoid overheating. I was told run them at 60-70psi.
Cheers
Mojo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General”