1770 to Capricorn Islands

Even Keel
CompetentCrew

1770 to Capricorn Islands

Post by Even Keel »

I've got a lot out of the trip reports so others might be interested in this one. I had grand plans of spending two weeks living out at the reefs feasting on fish.

We spent the first two days driving, then being typical city slickers we spent the morning rushing around rigging, buying food, petrol and water and left for Lady Musgrave about 10am. I didn't want to miss out on what I thought was the last of a dying breeze and would never entertain the idea of motoring 70 kms. Once we got out past Round Hill we had a good 15kts from the SE with lots of waves which were hitting us side on. It is not unusual for the wife to feel squirmish but I was feeling pretty average myself, which is the first time in a lot of years. We averaged about 8 to 10 kts and were there in about 5 hours. We scored a few great days snorkeling and paddling around the reef which was fantastic. It is pretty amazing standing back and looking at the reef and island on a paddle board on a sunny windless day. After a few days, another strong Southerly was forecast and there was a mass exodus. We though we better join them, so returned to 1770.

1770 is very protected, has great walking tracks, a great Captain Cook Museum and friendly people. There is also nice small waves for surfing and foiling, and plenty of wind for kitesurfing or windsurfing if you have your toys with you, which I didn't.

After a few days exploring we thought we would give it another go, this time to Fitzroy Reef. It was another wild trip but this time on a slightly better angle to the waves. The reef finally popped out of the water and sailing along the lee of the reef blew my mind (or maybe I was just relieved there was a reef really there). Fortunately we got a mooring. We did a bit of snorkling but felt a uneasy being out there on our own. The trip back to 1770 was wild. 20 to 25 knot Southerly with double reefed main and jib and big waves. It was a real test of boat and crew and an achievement just to get out there and back.

We learnt for ourselves that the reefs offer no protection, so we spent our last week exploring Platypus bay at Fraser Island, which there are may reports on, and is a hard to beat cruising ground in a trailer sailer. My Fraser highlights were having breakfast with about 30 turtles, finally catching a Spannish Mackrel and seeing a 7 foot tiger shark at feeding time. Our holiday was amazing but nothing like I invisaged or planned.

Let me know if you want any more details.

Cheers,
Steve
Last edited by Even Keel on May 11th, '21, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Re: 1770 to Capricorn Islands

Post by Castle 610 »

Sounds like a great trip. Looked it up on the map. Great thing about the tri is you can cover the distance and they dont mind a breeze.
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler »

Come on Steve...

Even Keel
CompetentCrew

Post by Even Keel »

Fraser
Fraser
Lady Musgrave
Lady Musgrave
JimJ
Able Skipper

Post by JimJ »

catching a Spannish Mackrel and seeing a 7 foot tiger shark at feeding time
Was the Mackrel part of the shark's feed?
Even Keel
CompetentCrew

Post by Even Keel »

Hi Jim,
I had no issues retrieving fish caught by lure off the back of the boat. (Not that I caught many of them). The big fella was feeding in a hole at low tide under Urangan Pier. It was on a real mission, aggressively swimming up and down the pier. Sometimes they seem placid, other times very aggressive. Scary!

Return to “Queensland Trip Reports”