Is lead ballast inside the hull factory spec?

For all information relating to Seaway 25's History, Tips & Tricks, or simply questions
Cheese and Wine
Midshipman

Is lead ballast inside the hull factory spec?

Post by Cheese and Wine »

Hi all,

I have a Seaway 25 Elite and when I opened the floor to work on rewiring it I noticed all these lead weights under the flooring. That explained why it's so blardy heavy. But can't anyone tell me if they're factory specified ballast or extra added by the previous owner?

The keel is already what feels like very heavy cast iron.
Attachments
20220507_120720.jpg
rickh
Midshipman

Re: Is lead ballast inside the hull factory spec?

Post by rickh »

HI Wine & Cheese. First up Seaways are a tad heavy - elsewhere in the Seaway page (https://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/p ... =46&t=9794) is the specs showing a displacement of 1400 kg with 544kg of lead in the bilge. Have you put your seaway over a weigh bridge? My seaway is about 2.2tonne on trailer with all gear and fuel, trailer has a tare of 600kg so my seaway + gear is 1.6tonne
There is also another discussion a few years ago called seaway ingots and weights (https://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/p ... 46&t=11221) that has some discussion and pics that will help you.
My seaway has ballast in the bilge area either side of the centre case, same as yours, but is glassed over. Some seaways also have similar ingots in the bilge forward of the sampson post.
In answer to your question I would say you ballast is factory spec.

regards

rick
Pippin
Seaway 25 Mk1
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Post by Castle 610 »

A fashion back in the day was a lighter keel and weight in the bilge. Could be to do with righting moment with keel up. Easier on lifting tackle?

Early Castles also took this approach.

It's a heavy way to get righting moment..but there are positive trade off's. Probably one of the reasons Seaways feel solid in a breeze.
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

Castle 610 wrote: May 8th, '22, 09:21 . . . Early Castles also took this approach. . .
Mine (#96) has two slabs of lead under the floor just forward of the standard companion way step into the cabin.
Slammin
Able Skipper

Post by Slammin »

Looks like you’ve got your answer. Yep it’s correct. There was some variations made by owners but by and large keel was about 90kgs.
As suggested this makes the boat stiffer once healing but initially a bit tender. It also means you could lose the keel and not capsize. As you’ll also notice the keel can be lifted by hand with just a small block and tackle.
The Seaway25 will also handle a bit of rough water lot better than many other similar sized boats.
Cheese and Wine
Midshipman

Post by Cheese and Wine »

rickh wrote: May 8th, '22, 07:31 Seaway page (https://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/p ... =46&t=9794) is the specs showing a displacement of 1400 kg with 544kg of lead in the bilge.
Thanks all. I didn't notice this detail in the Seaway page. Appreciate your input.

Return to “Seaway 25”